[ansel] Problem with sub-galleries and XP-publishing???

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Mon May 10 07:00:14 PDT 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Ben Chavet <ben at chavet.net>:
>
>> It actually makes a copy of the image.  I was thinking about using
>> pointers, but how often would an image actually be copied to another
>> gallery?  Probably not often enough to make it worth the headache of
>> using pointers.
>

> Using pointers for this would just be a headache - we'd essentially
> have to
> reference count everything.

That's the concensus that I found on the discussion boards of some of
the other gallery apps that I looked at.  Although, if you think about
it in a slightly different way, then maybe it's not that outlandish.  If
all images were uploaded into a single bucket (call it and image box, to
use a real-world metaphor).  Then you can assign images to various
albums from the image box, and it happens via pointers.  Deleting an
image from an album just removes that pointer.  If you delete an image
from the image box, then it just has to remove the pointers from all the
albums.  That could even be made more manageable by storing all
referencing albums as a field with the image itself.

Just somethiung to think about.