[ansel] Ansel must generate screen views for entire gallery on first image view. (Was: Something not work again into Ansel)

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Jan 20 21:51:31 UTC 2008

The initial changes needed to stop the entire gallery's images from
being generated at once have been implemented in CVS.  Give it a go
and please let me know how you make out.

Also, I noticed you are using gd for image processing.  That's OK as
Horde does support that, but you might want to try using imagemagick
instead. You'll get better looking results and most likely lower
memory usage as well.  Set the path to the "convert" program in the
main horde configuration under "Image Manipulation" section.

Quoting Claudio Mantegna <claudio.mantegna at gmail.com>:

> Good morning Michael,
>
> ok i waiting for some new version that correct (or resolve) the issue,
> meanwhile
> I leave everything unchanged perhaps breaking galleries in n parts .....
>

> 2008/1/18, Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>
>> Quoting Claudio Mantegna <claudio.mantegna at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > Good evening Michael,
>> >
>> > excuse me the rhetorical question and perhaps repetitive: but you thing
>> > suggestions to do to this point? From some test now sort would seem, how
>> > thin to a max of 78 photos for gallery you work, over no.
>>
>> I am sorry, but I'm not really sure what your asking me here.  Are you
>> asking if there is something you can do to test this or what the
>> maximum number of images would be?  I am fairly certain that this is
>> the issue.  I *do* know for certain that the current image view code,
>> using the current javascript transition effect (the grey block that
>> resizes before the image appears) is definitly causing some
>> performance issues.  The exact number of images in the gallery when
>> this become a real issue is really dependent on a number of factors
>> (your server hardware, size of original images, server load etc...) so
>> it is impossible for me to tell you an exact number.
>>
>> I will be rewriting this part of the code probably sometime over the
>> next week once I get some free time...hopefully this will solve your
>> particual issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> mike
>>
>> --
>> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
>> mrubinsk at horde.org
>>
>> "Time just hates me. That's why it made me an adult." - Josh Joplin
>>

> !DSPAM:47918eeb244311279271383!

Thanks,
mike

--