[ansel] debuging for my ansel problem

Helmut Schiefer Helmut at 4Schiefer.de
Mon Mar 30 11:51:08 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

thanks for reply. Yesterday evening, I found the same point of the
problem. GD don't work for that, not clear why. After installing the
convert problem all the errors and problems had gone away.

Maybe it an idea to do an error checking in the code like that:

Checking image exist in the vfs and log in the logfile or so. I can't
do any coding of php so can only give my opinion.

Thanks again for the great work.

Helmut

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

> Quoting Helmut Schiefer <Helmut at 4Schiefer.de>:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> in the last hours I did a litle bit debuging for my amsel problem.
>> Short introduction:
>> I upload a photo and I didn't see any fotos in any galleries or
>> screens. I can download the photo to my desktop. If I click on the
>> gallery i get an error message in my horde.log called:
>> imageCreateFromString: Non-static method PEAR::raiseError()
>>
>> Now the results of my test. The photos are stored in horde vfs. If I
>> do a query to the vfs I found only the original photo, no others.
>>
>> If I click regenerate: thumbs and minis will regenerate and I can see
>> them in my browser and the error messages goes away. The problem: The
>> image screen isn't generate.
>>
>> First question: Any Idea why the screen image isn't rebuild?
>

> Yes. There seems to be an issue with the following combination:
> Using the PHP GD library and PNG images in Ansel. The temporary work
> around is to either generate JPG images or, and this is my
> recommendation, don't use GD, use the convert utility by putting the
> path to your convert binary in the ansel config.
>
>> Second Question: Any Idea why the images aren't generate during the upload.
>> My ansel conf: conf image autogen = 25
>> conf image pretty thumbs is checked
>
> Not 100% sure, but this might be related to an issue with E_STRICT
> errors being raised by PHP in the gd library. Still tracking this
> one down.
>

>> last question: What is the best place to store more than 1000 photos
>> for a familiy server. In the database (blob) or file system?
>
> I personally use a file based VFS since I also serve the images
> directly out of the VFS - bypassing the need to feed them through
> PHP (this is the VFS-Direct option in ansel's config).
>

> Thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
> mrubinsk at horde.org
>
> "Time just hates me. That's why it made me an adult." - Josh Joplin

Best Regards
Helmut Schiefer