[ansel] unwanted "browse" on public galleries

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Dec 19 17:12:45 UTC 2011

Quoting Peter Fokkinga <peter at fokkinga.nl>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>> Why doesn't this make sense? It's an Ansel specific "portal" page
>> that only contains blocks of ansel data. Things like most recently
>> added/geotagged images, tag cloud, etc...
>
> Hm, I seem to remember that I could add non-Ansel modules as well,
> but I am probably wrong on that point.

Nope, not form the browse page. You can from the main Horde portal
page (which looks similar), but not from Ansel's browse page.

> I did find it strange that an anonymous guest can add/delete/modify
> modules through "Add content". Turns out that any changes a guest makes
> are specific to the session. So when Alice removes the tag cloud module
> it will still be visible for Bob. And when Alice restarts her browser
> and visits the module page again shows the tag cloud.

Yes, since they are guests, there is no persistent storage. Might make
sense to disable the Add/Edit functionality for guests though, I agree.

> Still, is there any way to turn that menu bar off?

No.

> I would like to
> render galleries and images with minimal distractions. Same goes for
> the widgets column (to the right) in a gallery btw.

You can edit which widgets appear on that screen by editing
ansel/config/styles.php if you like. If you want this only for guests
- you could theoretically add a new gallery style with minimal widgets
and set the default style pref in Ansel to the new style. Some widgets
though, like the gallery action widget are not removable.

If your end goal is to serve up galleries in a more "photo gallery
website" way, and you don't mind getting your hands dirty with PHP -
Ansel has a pretty thorough API that allows you to render the various
views directly on other websites. For example,
http://theabramsgallery.com is powered completely by Ansel.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)