[board] Fwd: [horde] Horde projects and proposals resource

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Apr 4 02:24:24 UTC 2008

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> I think the one thing that's missing there that should be paramount
> is DOCUMENTATION.  I mean I've been running horde/imp/turba for
> several years now and I still don't know what a lot of the
> "features" actually do.  I think before we get too far ahead in
> planning new projects and ways to extend horde further (which we
> absolutely SHOULD) I think it's important to pause and go back over
> what's already been built and write up comprehensive documentation
> about it.

I think you misunderstand what this is about a bit. This isn't a list
of things for the core developers to do - this is a compilation of
ideas, both from core developers and from anyone else. It's there as a
place for people to jot ideas, to build specs, and as a way for people
to get involved in working on Horde. It's community building.

If I could tell people not to work on their pet projects but to write
documentation instead, I would. I've tried, in fact. But that's not
how open source works.

However, if you feel compelled to write documentation, well, you can
start specing out a documentation project and add it to the wiki. ;)
Or just work with the existing hordedoc module and the
doc at lists.horde.org list.

I'm not arguing with the need for documentation - far from it. But
this *is* one of the possible kinds of documentation - a documentation
of what the community is up to and thinking about.

-chuck

--
"I have concerns that we are not behaving like a mature, responsible,
collection of interdependent organisms." - Rick O.