[board] minutes for May 2009 meeting

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed May 6 12:00:23 UTC 2009

> The minutes for today's meeting, which was small but useful, are
> attached. More followup should be coming from both Jan and I on
> things  that were discussed.

I want to explicitly link to the advocacy/organization that we talked
about during the meeting: http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/

I had them on my radar since they have been funded, and we had a short
discussion back then whether we want to join them. We decided that we
didn't really need it at that time yet, and rather want to wait and
see how this organization evolves. Since then they have acquired (or
been joined by) a number of well known OSS projects like Mercurial,
Samba or Wine.

There are two major advantages I see in such a solution:
- we would get tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status which might attract more donations
- we would have a legal entity that makes our copyright situation much safer

The latter could also achieved by using something like
http://fsfe.org/projects/ftf/fla.en.html. We kept the copyright issues
a bit vaguely when we decided to assign copyrights to the Horde
Project, because the project doesn't form a legal entity. This worked
fine for most people, but not for Intevation and KDAB who contributed
code to the Kolab stuff in Horde. They are fine with assigning
copyrights though once a) the copyright holder is a legal entity and
b) it is made sure that the copyright is kept in an organization that
keeps the code in the OSS space.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/