[chora] luxor / chora

Cynic cynic@mail.cz
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 05:13:19 +0200

At 04:24 8/11/2001, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote the following:
>On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 04:08:20AM +0200, Cynic wrote:
>>
>> Unless you decide that a separate app for each of these RC systems
>> is a better solution, there's one glue inherent to all RC systems
>> you might put Chora on top of: Chora itself. IOW, there's a set
>> of informations Chora needs to display with any RCS on the backend.
>>
>> $msg = $backend::getCommitMessage()
>>
>> We don't need the same API in all supported backends, but instead
>> the same API exposed by the classes interfacing those backends.
>> "Hide the gory details and just give me what I want."
>
>Concepts like RCS version numbers are pretty different across
>Perforce, CVS and Subversion.

Well, Subversion's revision numbers apply to the whole tree, but
you can still have $nr = $backend::getRevisionNumber(). I think I'm
missing something since you seem to disagree.

>Before just diving into redesigning the API, I wanted to look
>into all three and use them for a while (I havent gotten around
>to looking into Subversion yet)

>> I don't understand. Do you mean that with an RCS other than CVS
>> it might not be possible to display e. g. diffs or something?
>> Could you elaborate?
>
>Yeah.  How do we display Subversion per-commit version numbers?

Just like with CVS. I don't see a problem.

>Or some of the branching functionality in Perforce in the
>history view?

Well, how about starting with a common subset of functionality,
and then figure out the rest? :)

>> >And if we do just stick with CVS, CVSLib isn't too badly
>> >broken - apart from the lack of references, it works.
>>
>> I don't know what you're referring to.
>
>If we just choose to stick Chora to CVS, what is wrong with
>CVSLib apart from passing copies of CVSLib objects around?

Let me get my hands really dirty in it, and I'll tell you. :)
Seriously though, I don't know of any problems besides that and
all those (non-cached) popen() calls.

cynic@mail.cz
And the eyes of them both were opened and they saw that their files
were world readable and writable, so they chmoded 600 their files.
    - Book of Installation chapt 3 sec 7