[chora] luxor / chora

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:34:54 -0400

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:02:48AM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> > Isn't Perforce a commercial product?
>
> Yes.  It's still a very very nice RCS though, and we use
> it at work at NetApp, so I'd like to have Chora support it.

Indeed.  It's excellent for large projects with more than a
handful of developers.

> Jon was looking at hooking the Perforce API into PHP a
> while back.

I still hope to get to that soon, too, hopefully by the end of
the year, depending on how soon I can reorganize things now that
I've moved.  If I move my existing code trees in a Perforce
repository like I want, that will give me more encouragement to
write the extension and look into Chora support.

The same goes for Subversion, too, although I want to wait for it
to become stable first.

CVS just plain sucks at certain things, but it's been rather
successful over the years.

> I just need to take the time to do a proper comparison and
> figure out if there will be any commonality of UI or not.
> e.g., how do we gracefully degrade to the CVS view?
>
> Or, it may not be worth the trouble at all; just write different
> apps for these RCS's.

I think I combination of those two would probably be best (a thin
abstraction layer to some beefy RCS-specific backends).

> It badly needs to be hooked into the PEAR Cache interface
> though - since most files in CVS change very rarely, this is
> a huge speed boost.

That would be very nice. =)

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology