[chora] CVSROOT and annotations

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:46:01 +0000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:20:18AM +0100, Jasper Veltman wrote:

> I recently installed Chora as an easy CVS-browser. However, I cannot get the
> annotations to function properly: it fails with a server error because it
> cannot access the CVSROOT. The same thing happens on Horde's demo-site,
> obviously the same problem.

Not necessarily ...

> My CVS repositories are in subdirectories of /data/cvs,
> say /data/cvs/project1/. But the CVSROOT-dir for all repositories is by default
> in /data/cvs/CVSROOT/, and not in /data/cvs/project1/CVSROOT/ as Chora seems to

Your CVSROOT is /data/cvs, and not /data/cvs/project1 , in this case.

> want. Project1 is configured in cvsroots.php
> with 'location'=>'/data/cvs/project1'. Changing the location to '/data/cvs'
> solves the problem, but makes it impossible to use several repositories in a
> useful way.

Nope, it should be a location of /data/cvs , and project1 will be a module
under it.

CVS uses a 'repository', with a single CVSROOT, and multiple 'modules',
which are project1, project2, etc.

Have you tried setting the CVSROOT/history file to be world writable?
Some versions of CVS insist that they have write access to the history
file to be able to do annotations.

The PHP4 problem on the demo site is because the php4/CVSROOT directory
doesn't exist at all (they've denied it in their rsync because it
contains passwd files).  I'll put a sanity check into the annotation
code.

Anil