[chora] newbie question

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:30:16 -0500

> It would take more code than that, since we use the rcs binaries on the
> files, requiring that they actually be present.

Was wondering if this was a case where the rcs stuff is only done on
individual files, or on whole directories.  If individual files, we could
copy them to a temp file or something and use that copy.  But there would
be a lot of overhead...  If it parse whole directories or large sets of
files, then it wouldn't be practical to copy that much data...

> NFS-mounting or an rsync'ed
> copy is the best I can come up with right now, but admittedly I'm a bit
> tired.

Yeah, I'm starting to give into the NFS idea.  I just didn't want to have
to add all the security overhead (for nfs server, portmap, etc) to the
development machine...

I've considered the following:

1) NFS -- means more software, more security concern, but otherwise great
2) rysnc et al -- things would always be a bit out of date, otherwise okay
3) modifying the code -- could take a while...
4) Install Horde/chora on the CVS machine -- means more software, more security
   concerns (minor), and adds authentication issue (as I don't want the cvs
   repository (code) to be public, so auth would be needed).

I don't like #2 because of the delay in updates.  #4 would (in my case)
be a pain as I'd need to login to 2 different Horde implementations at all
times (email and chora).  So that really leaves #1 for immediatge use, and
#3 for a long term goal...  (Best I can tell)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage