[chora] chora image diff

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:24:47 -0500

This message is in MIME format.

Okay, this code is really rough.  But I want to throw it out for discussion.
The enclosed patch, which is also available at

https://mail.ph.utexas.edu/patches/misc/

just in case the attachment doesn't make it, is a very rough hack (and I
do mean hack) at adding some small amount of intellegence to the
chora diff.php file for other mime types.

What it does is says: if the user is diffing two .gif files, and they
want a "side-by-side" diff, then after the real diff, include the two
images (side-by-side of course).

This was inspired by chora/docs/GOALS which says:

o Intelligent diff based on MIME type.  For example, if it is an image,
  then show the old and new version side-by-side.  Investigate engines
  other than plain-old-diff to see if they can do a better job.

Now, some questions are:

* Does this seem at all reasonable the way I've done it? (not the code -- the
  result)

* What other mime types besides images can/should we create a special "diff"
  view for?

* Should this best be done in diff.php (like I did) or in CVSLib/Diff.php
  instead?

Comments welcome...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: diff.php.diff
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 1982 bytes