[chora] Chora with CVSgraph? and/or Subversion?

Tim tim at connectlive.com
Sat Dec 21 11:07:38 PST 2002

I'm thinking of moving a lot of development (not just at my company but
also on some community projects) from CVS to Subversion, at least once
I'm comfortable with the general level of bug-free-ness in that project.
Mostly, I want atomic commits for web content, multi-developer projects,
and projects where there is a real split between staging and production.

An awful lot of my development centers around PHP these days, because
the community site and my company's website get a lot of mileage out of
rapidly-deployed vertically-integrated code.  You know, the stuff PHP is
best at... I hate having a cgi-bin directory on *any* of my servers.

So, Chora seems like a logical move for all of the above.  Integration
with existing auth shouldn't be too bad, and perhaps I can then retire
Zope/ViewCVS/CVSgraph in one instance, and CVSWeb in the other.  But...

Am I setting myself up for a disaster if I try to use the hacked Chora
version that works with Subversion on a large project?  I have had
severe problems with large, automatic, recursive CVS checkins (I like
versioned backups of EVERYTHING -- websites, databases, EVERYTHING) and
am hoping that Svn will alleviate, rather than aggravate, that.

Any experiences from Chora users or developers who use Subversion?
Initially I will do a test deployment, but once it stabilizes, I would
be moving some pretty large codebases over.  It would also be nice for
the community site, if I could figure out how to make CVSgraph work with
Svn and Chora, though that's a less pressing matter.  Likewise,
integrating LXR or PHPXref with Chora would be 'rad', if I could figure
out how to do it from cron or somewhere else I didn't have to work at.

Thanks for any insights and let me know if there are places in the Chora
codebase where I could offer improvements or return the favor of your
consideration.

Thanks in advance,

--
  Tim Triche, Jr.