[chora] subversion environment

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Wed Dec 15 13:14:22 PST 2004

Hello all,

I'm setting up a new project and decided to try out subversion.  I got
the repo and everything setup fine and configured the apache mod_dav_svn
module.  Now I'm trying to setup chora for browsing the repo and stuff.
  I've done it with cvs before so I have a little experience with chora.

Here's the error message I'm getting:

svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale
svn: error: environment variable LANG is en_US
svn: error: please check that your locale name is correct

I tried running the svn client as a regular user from the command line
on the system that chora is running on and that worked fine.  So I tried
running it as www (the user apache is running as) using 'sudo -u www svn
co <url>' and that worked fine too.  The only way I was able to
successfully break the command line svn client was if I first did
'export LANG=en_US', then I get the same error message as I do in chora.

The web server is running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE and apache 2.0.52 with
subversion 1.1.1.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich