[chora] "Can't check path..."

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sun Nov 12 09:30:30 PST 2006

At 12:21 PM 11/12/2006, Jan Schneider wrote:

<JS>>>>>Well, *my* apache has the HOME and USER environment set to /root
and root by default even though it's not running as root of course.<<<<<

Really?  I don't know enough about apache to know if that's a bad thing,
but it doesn't sound right to me...

On this machine USER=apache and HOME=/var/www for the apache user.  That's
the way the Fedora install comes out of the box.

Note that httpd generally starts up as root but then switches to whatever
user is set in httpd.conf "User" and "Group" elements (both of which are
set to "apache" in Fedora installations), and all of the instances of httpd
that get spawned by the initial httpd installation all get spawned as the
apache user and group.

On some installations, httpd runs as user "nouser" (or "nobody") and group
"nogroup", so I for sure don't know how chora would access
/root/.subversion in that case.