[chora] popen() (was Re: Followup (Re: "Can't check path..."))

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Mon Nov 13 07:51:59 PST 2006

At 10:42 PM 11/12/2006, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

 >> http://www.php.net/phpinfo

Wow, that phpinfo sure puts out a lot of info.  :-)

Aha!  There it is.  HOME = /root, big as life.

WHAT in the world is apache's HOME doing pointed at /root???  (...other
than the fact that httpd is started by root and switched to the apache user
and group in the httpd.conf file...)

I have added the following to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start/stop script:

start() {
         echo $HOME                # Added just to confirm that
                                             # /root really is the initial HOME
         export HOME=/home/apache  # Added
         echo $HOME                # Added to verify that HOME
                                             #really did get changed
# Everything below this line was there out of the box.
         echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
         check13 || exit 1
         daemon $httpd $OPTIONS
         RETVAL=$?
         echo
         [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch ${lockfile}
         return $RETVAL
}

I also added a /home/apache directory and made it owned by the apache user
and group, just to have someplace for chora to reference (pretty sure I
didn't want to leave it referenced at /var/www).

It seems that that has Fixed The Problem ... now chora works as
advertised.  :-)

Have others had this same problem?  I didn't find it in the archives.  My
apache configuration is pretty much out-of-the-box except I had to disable
startup in the initial system startup scripts and add it to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local, because some other things had to finish initializing
first (mostly, I had to mount some drives and start up a bunch of virtual
hosts) before I could start httpd.  I wonder if that's what did it to me...

I know this next question is a bit off-topic for this list but... Is
modifying the httpd startup script the "right" way to do this, or is there
another way that's better?

Chuck, to you and Jan, thank you very much for your help.  :-)

Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor sometime.