[imp] hey again...

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:38:15 -0500 (CDT)

[I'm going to drag this over to dev...]

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, John P . Looney <valen@tuatha.org> wrote:

>  Hi, I used to be on the list, and haven't for ages (work got busy, and I
> wasn't doing any imp work).

Welcome back!  :-)

>  Anyway, I've recent done some work with IMP to add filtering & mailing
> list support for users. It's simple stuff, and you can check out a mockup
> from (only the filters/folders/prefs pages work, and they are static
> captures of dynamic HTML). Unfortunately, it's heavily reliant on
> javascript.

Just a note that you should check the IMP list archives; I seem to recall
that a few other people have been working on filtering and vacation-like
stuff also.

>  I was wondering, is there any point me doing a "proper" version, i.e.
> taking out locale strings, and making the templates neater, and adding it
> to the newer versions of IMP ? The back end relies on qmail/ezmlm
> unfortunatly, though once the frontend would be made availible, I'm sure
> someone could do majordomo/postfix/sendmail backend work too. What think
> ye ?

Chuck has said in the past that if filtering is done, it needs to be a new
Horde module (not part of IMP) because it isn't IMP's job... I agree with
this.  I think having a front end with one working back end is exactly the
way to go (just like the IETF right?)... I bet people would jump in and
port the back ends in a hurry if there's a structure there.

I also think you'd be best off doing work in the 2.3 (HEAD) baseline since
that's where I think the developers are going to want to work with
something like this.  (That's why I thought dev is the place to discuss
it.)

Now when you say "mailing list support" you mean...?  The list management
stuff that pops up in pine?  (I've thought that would be cool to have in
IMP also.)

I know there's huge demand for something like this, so I'm happy to see
people working on it.  I'm sorry that I, personally, don't have time to
help.  We need it here just like everyone else.  :-)

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>