[dev] Re: Preferences storage

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 16:13:45 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:34:07AM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

Wow. Guess I'm not the only one cleaning out my inbox. =)

> Alright, I just got around to implementing this. =)
>
> I haven't actually written a function with which to test the
> functionality, but it should work just fine based on the
> implementation.
>
> Set $conf['prefs']['params']['user_hook'] = 'user_lookup_function'
> to specify the name of the lookup function.

Cool. Do you remember why I wanted this? *sheepish look*

I've been thinking about prefs in the face of releasing 2.3, and it seems to me
that there are some problems we're going to have to solve - mainly, the problem
that any site with multiple servers that have overlapping usernames will have
preferences collisions. Also, once you have a server stored in prefs, you can't
log into any other server with that username, because it will pull your prefs
and try to log into the server in your prefs... etc.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Many states consider gambling so immoral that they not only prohibit private