[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp compose.php

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 18:43:04 -0600 (CST)

Quoting Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>:

> message be
> why it
> > >
> > > What do people think of this patch?
> >
> > Hmm.  Well, I agree that a Cc:-only message is a little odd,
> > conceptually... but if that's what the user has specified, why mess
> with
> > it?  I guess my question is, what's the benefit from (or motivation
> for)
> > this patch?
>
> IMP will generate a "sending message failed" error if the To: field is
> empty.  The above was my attempt to fix that particular case.
>
> Alternatively, we can just let the To: line remain blank and change
> the test so that it allows for an empty To: line if there's a value in
> the Cc: line.

I like this idea--a CC: only message might be weird, but a BCC isn't--what if
you don't want anybody to see anyone else you sent the message to?  If you
*have* to put something in the to: field and everyone else's address in the BCC:
field, everybody sees the one recipient.  I've had times where this is
undesirable, and last I checked, this was still how IMP
(2.2--honestly, I haven't checked 2.3) performed.

..Keith

--
"I consider this a day well seized.  Tomorrow we'll seize the day AND conquer
it!"  -Calvin, "Calvin and Hobbes"