[dev] Re: [imp] Folder overview in IMP

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:09:03 +0000

> Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:
>
> > It's only unwieldy when you have a massive number of folders
>
> Yes... but I do. And so do many people. And I'm simply not willing
> to have a feature justified by "oh, well, it'd be fine if you
> had fewer folders". That's not good design.

It certainly isn't good design, but I wasn't justifying it as
being perfect ... despite it being unwieldy with a lot of
folders (and I have around 100 in my own mailbox), it still
does the job.  I couldn't envisage a UI that would give you
at a glance the full range of folders you can had selected, and
could potentially select, without a large amount of context
switching (hiding and revealing portions of the folder space).

Which is to say it doesn't exist of course - suppose we just
abstract that folder selection into a widget in lib/folder.php
and use it in the search/preferences section.  When inspiriation
on how to improve it strikes, we can just slot a new one in.

> > It would be useful as one of those '90% of people will use it like
> > this' things... if we provide an abstraction framework for filtering,
> > then people would probably use that in preference to manually setting
> > up procmail, maildrop, sieve, or whatever other cryptic scripting
> > languages are around.
>
> This is something I'm willing to think about more when this filtering
> module actually exists.

Yeah, it was just a random thought that probably shouldn't
have gone into that email ;)

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>