[dev] maildir support

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:28:54 -0000

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> What's the advantage of this over having an IMAP server that understands
> maildirs?

Speed.

I tried out SqWebMail (which reads maildirs natively) on my
biggest folder (openbsd-misc, with 25000+ messages in it), and it just
ripped through it while IMP and Mutt were still chewing through headers.

Removing the IMAP layer does mean you lose the meta-information for
each message, like reply-flags and so on, which I didn't like.

Disclaimer:  this was tested when Courier-IMAP was in its infancy,
so performance may have evened out since then.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"