[dev] maildir support

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:42:52 -0000

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Tradeoff: security. You're suddenly writing a piece of software
> which needs to run with root priviledges, instead of an IMAP client.

This does depend on how you store your maildirs (vpopmail/vmailmgr
can deliver to a set of uids that aren't root), but ultimately, your
server has access to a hell of a lot more than it should, which
is very bad.

> IMO, the best thing that could possibly happen for IMP is if we
> could go ahead and cache a hell of a lot more data with
> each session - and ideally make the IMAP connection persistant,
> but even just being able to cache some headers, the whole mailbox
> listing, and only update things when they actually change, would
> be a huge win.

That would be great!

Is there a size limit in the session variable?  I recall dimly
that there were some problem with PHPLIB, but I don't have much
experience with the PHP4 session stuff beyond setting values in
the $imp variable ;)

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"