[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: whups css.php cvs.php diff.php whups/config html.php.dist .cvsignore conf.php.dist whups/graphics deleted.gif whups/templates diff_header.inc diff_request.inc diff_rev.inc dir_back.inc dir_directory.inc dir_file.inc dir_header.inc ...

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:21:56 -0500

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:13:07PM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> a) MIME support:  I'll like to detect the type of a file in
>    the repository a bit more intelligently, rather than just give
>    a huge set of extensions => mime type mapping.

Apache MIME logic is pretty robust (mod_mime_magic, for example).
Performing the same kind of comparisons in PHP would be slow, however.
I think it would be cool to have a PHP extension that handle MIME
detection and negotiation, perhaps that tied into Apache's code.  That
would make things much faster and efficient.

I'd look into this myself, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do
it right, so I figured I toss it out in the hope that someone else
might have the time and motivation to see it through.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology