Fwd: Re: [PHP-PEAR] copyright in Pear code

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:34:20 -0500

fyi, some copyright guidelines that were posted to the php-dev list, for those
of you who didn't see them...

----- Forwarded message from "Derek A. Neighbors" <derek@gnue.org> -----
    Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:48:18 -0700
    From: "Derek A. Neighbors" <derek@gnue.org>
 Subject: Re: [PHP-PEAR] copyright in Pear code
      To: Colin Viebrock <colin@easyDNS.com>

While I know this group doesnt particular love the FSF one thing they
understand well is copyright and software.  Here is what they have to
say on the matter.

A copyright notice looks like this:

Copyright year1, year2, year3 copyright-holder

The list of year numbers should include each year in which you finished

preparing a version which was actually released, and which was an
ancestor of the current version.

Please reread the paragraph above, slowly and carefully. It is important

to understand that rule precisely, much as you would understand a
complicated C statement in order to hand-simulate it.

This list is not a list of years in which versions were released. It is

a list of years in which versions, later released, were completed. So if

you finish a version on Dec 31, 1994 and release it on Jan 1, 1995, this

version requires the inclusion of 1994, but doesn't require the
inclusion of 1995.

Do not abbreviate the year list using a range; do not write `1996--1998'

instead of `1996, 1997, 1998'.

The versions that matter, for purposes of this list, are versions that
were ancestors of the current version. So if you made a temporary branch

in maintenance, and worked on branches A and B in parallel, then each
branch would have its own list of years, which is based on the versions

released in that branch. A version in branch A need not be reflected in

the list of years for branch B, and vice versa.

However, if you copy code from branch A into branch B, the years for
branch A (or at least, for the parts that you copied into branch B) do
need to appear in the list in branch B, because now they are ancestors
of branch B.

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnue.org