[dev] Receipts?

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:32:25 -0600 (CST)

> Quoting Michael Bull <mbull@uoguelph.ca>:
>
> > Just been doing some testing this morning, and I'm finding that return
>
> > receipts is not working.  I did some searching on the listserv, and
> this is
> > the most recent related comment that I've found on the subject:
>
> Return receipts are different from DSNs, or delivery status notices,
> which is
> what that message was talking about. Return Receipts, as far as I know,
> are
> just a header, which I put in support for setting. However, I don't use
> them,
> and don't have anything to test them with, so I wasn't sure if it worked
> or
> not; apparently not. When I committed it I asked people who used them to
> test
> it, and no one said anything. If you can tell me what's wrong, I'll fix
> it.

They work, but the client has to support it.  I don't think most webmail
packages do, but at least Netscape Messenger does.  When I send a message to an
account I check with Netscape Messenger, and request a return receipt, it works.
 Messenger will pop up with a "Return receipt requested; send one?", and send a
simple reply back if I say yes.  I would presume Outlook/Outlook Express does
the same thing.

..Keith

--
"I consider this a day well seized.  Tomorrow we'll seize the day AND conquer
it!"  -Calvin, "Calvin and Hobbes"