SMTP configuration

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:06:21 -0600 (CST)

I just updated to the latest PHP/PEAR CVS as well as the latest IMP 2.3.7 CVS
and wonder if I miss something.  Now, whenver I send messages from that copy of
IMP, the messages arive, but with no sender set.  There is nothing in the "From"
field of the messages lists, no sender listed when I view the message, and no
"From:" line in the header.

The closest thing in the header is one of the "Received:" lines:

        as user kchayer@mail.bbcnet.edu by webmail-dev.bbcnet.edu with HTTP;
        Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:41:39 -0600

The "Return-Path:" line is also screwy:

Some more troubleshooting I did:

1. I normally compose in the same window (not a popup).  I changed that; the
popup closed properly but the message still has no sender.

2. I commented out all of the javascript window.close lines in compose.php, and
when I would compose and then send, I would get a popup "Document contains no
data" error.  BUT the message gets sent (of course the window doesn't close).
Weird.

There are no errors in Apache's error log.

And finally, all of that may be extraneous information, as I think I've isolated
the problem: if my full name in my signature is "Keith A. Chayer", I have the
problem.  As soon as I remove the ".", the problem goes away and I see the
sender just fine.

I am using Netscape 4.75, incidentally, under Win2k.  The only reason I mention
that is it seems like sometimes my preferences get cached as I jigger around
with them.  I'll go change the full name, save, click compose, and the old pref
is still listed.  If I hit reload, usually the new pref shows up correctly.
That could be related to the new session preferences storage (though I am not
using it explicitly--does it act as a cache during an IMP session?), perhaps.

Did I miss something configuration wise, or might this be some sort of PHP or
PEAR bug?

..Keith

--
"I consider this a day well seized.  Tomorrow we'll seize the day AND conquer
it!"  -Calvin, "Calvin and Hobbes"