[dev] LDAP preference storage with 2.3

Michael Bull mbull@uoguelph.ca
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:51:29 -0500

At 09:53 AM 16/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Mike,
>
>I think there may be a lot of interest on the list in doing the same.  I know
>that I am and have just been putting it off.  While we are on the subject, are
>you also going to ldap for your pop/imap server?  Will you be using
>openldap-2.0.X?  I think I ask too many questions:-)

Hi Edwin.  No problem with the questions, I sure get my share in as well!
*grin*

I'll let you know how the LDAP preferences store goes.  Even if we decide
that we're not going to integrate it into the main database, we'd like to
avoid having too many different types of servers running (in terms of
expertise with managing them / resources to manage them) if we can avoid it;
running LDAP instead of an SQL server would be preferred.

I've used openldap for testing, however we're using Netscape/Sun's iPlanet
LDAP server at the enterprise level.   We're moving to using LDAP to store
using names, passwords, etc, for authentication -- right now we've got an
older system linked into it.   LDAP is very directional for us, so we'll be
moving more and more to it in the future.

Mike.