[dev] my IMP broke [ User Preferences Grouping ]

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar@developer.ch
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:24:29 +0100

As we are on the topic about user preferences.
Our Information Architect thinks that the preferences in the option
screen are too cluttered.

These are ideas from her:

>From usability point of view, it will be a good idea to group them as
in (yahoo mail, I just test it yesterday).
So groups can be
* Personal information
	Fullname
	Signature
	from Address
	Reply-to address
* Message options
 	Message Sorting
	Message viewing
	Message composition
* Folder options
* Filter options

Spam filter:
	The spam link can send a spam report to the administrator and add an
	exclusion filter rule based on the subject, from and to headers.

Filters:
	Have an option to "Copy Message to folder" if it matches the criteria.
	Move Message is ok, but sometimes it is useful to copy the message?? (I
dont get it neither)

I dont see an easy way for grouping options, but let me know if the Spam
filter and "copy Message " are of any interest.
I have to implement them anyway for our customers, I may as well do it
cleanly so that they can be applied as a patch.

Oh for "grouping options", infact I do have an idea.
call options.php with group_name for example prefs.php?group=personal
(or a number or whatever), then it can display "Fullnam", "Signature"
and "Addresses" as editable fields and the rest as hidden fields or just
not require files not related to that group in prefs.php

Maybe thats too much for 2.4

Best regards

--
Atif Ghaffar