[dev] frames version

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar@developer.ch
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:01:33 +0100

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

Hmm,

Its 0600 here (Switzerland). I was waiting for you to announce when you
will make the branch/commits, so I could cvs-update and get-on-with-it.

Where did you hold the debate by the way, I was following the
conversation on dev@lists.horde.org and it seemed that no-one had a big
argument against the frames version.
Is there another mailing list which I should join or is it internal to
the core developers.

Also, you mentioned, that frames version cater to power-users.
No, frames version cater to professional users.
The ones that use webmail everyday for managing their 20K+ emails.
The move from town to town, country to country conducting businesses
etc.
I mean doctors, Sales Managers, IT developers, Marketing people, etc.

What is IMP targeting as a user?

For the power-user as I said before.
If you know telnet, user, pass, list, top, retr, dele, rset and quit
commands, you dont need any interface.

anyway, thanks.
I go to sleep now.

> After much debate, we've decided to keep the frames version out of IMP for now.
> Presenting two such vastly different interfaces would detract from our ability
> to perfect any one interface. And the biggest reason is that the framed
> interface caters to a userbase - power users with large screens - that are far
> from IMP's typical user, and that probably would be much happier with a full
> desktop mail client.
>
> -chuck
>
> --
> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>