[dev] Re: IMP development practices suggestion

Max Kalika max@the-triumvirate.net
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:50:44 -0800

Quoting "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@horde.org>:

> However, I think there are probably IMP admins out there who know their user
> base well enough to be able to give feature/design feedback that would be
> helpful.

I, for one, know my user base pretty well (even though there's about 3000 of
them) and can say with some certainty that most, if not all, of them will want
the most simplest interface possible.  We have people that *must* have email
even though they aren't entirely sure what email is.  And that sort of
mentality constitutes about 80% of my users.  The others use webmail because
they travel.  I firmly believe that I will make all of them much happier when
they see 2.3 for the first time as it looks in its current state.

The current complaints I get with 2.2.4 cvs are:

- Compose window isn't big enough.
- It doesn't fit on my monitor (a lot of them are at 800x600 or worse 640x480
or even worse on old macintoshes)
- It is too slow (that is a server issue, granted)
- Don't like to scroll through a big inbox (after a suggestion of sorting mail
into folders, the complaint becomes "can't figure out how to make folders")

And some of the more advanced users say:

- Can't search mail
- Can't filter mail

*None* of them asked to make "webmail" look like their desktop client (eudora
mainly).

As for me, I consider myself somewhat of a power user and I don't buy the
argument about knowing the imap commands will suffice for all my work --
there's the question of efficiency.  Personally I stopped using outlook for two
reasons: 1) its bloated; 2) its only available on my workstation.  I personally
prefer the simplicity of imp 2.3, and its also available wherever there is an
internet connection.

Just thought I'd put in another 2 cents in the jar.

--mk23