[dev] 2.3.x installer

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:58:31 -0500

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:45:51PM -0600, Brent J. Nordquist (bjn@horde.org) wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org> wrote:
>
> > The question is: do we actually want it to be web-based?  Perhaps just a
> > simple perl utility to ask questions would be better?  It would also avoid
> > the whole permissions issue as well.  It wont be quite as pretty, but we can
> > always get around that with Curses::Forms or something :)
>
> Well, I'm a CLI guy, so I wouldn't object, but I'm in the solid minority
> these days, I think.  :-)  I'm willing to go either way, but I agree the
> whole install.sh/secure.sh/won't-run-if-writable thing is a little
> cumbersome.

Agreed wholeheartedly. The admins have already had to configure 3/4 of
the installation with their editor and configuration files; a
well-documented conf file and an entirely-optional conversational
setup (which should only need a shell-script! Look at perl's
Configure) should do the job.

All involved here have at some point independently decided to
completely ignore the web-based configuration thingie. :-)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services