[dev] 2.3.x installer

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:34:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu> wrote:

> Also, certain configuration settings are limited to a fixed set of
> possibile values (true or false, numbers, a set of known drivers).
> Therefore, our .dist-style comments may end up looking like this:
>
> // This is a description line.
> // This is another description line.
> // [integer]
> $conf['foo']['number'] = 0;
>
> The [type] could be one of the following: string, boolean, integer,
> set,

Yes, my thinking was moving in that direction also... you need something
like that for a wizard to be able to validate.  Good.  Now:

> I'm not entirely sure that's the best possible syntax, but it works
> for explanatory purposes.

...you know the conclusion that I reached along this train of thought?
Configuration files as XML documents.  No, no, wait, I can hear the groan
from here, but at least toy with the thought for a moment:  XML provides a
way to mandate a well-formed document, the parser is already there to
read/validate it, types are there, it copes with missing and extra tags
(forward/backward compatibility), you can use richer style tags in the
prose descriptions...  Wow.

OK, _now_ you can tell me "not going to happen".  Well, it was a fun
little thought (for me anyway).  :-)