[dev] deprecating db-specific drivers

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:29:37 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> We've got some db-specific code lying around (drivers for connection
> tracking and prefs, I believe). In the interest of fewer overlapping
> choices for users, consistency, and encouraging use of DB::, I'd like
> to remove them in favor of just the generic SQL drivers. Any
> objections?

None whatsoever; glad to see this happening.  I assume this is the same
thing as the blurb on the PHP status this week?

At my last job when we were porting to many different vendors, we talked
about the "greatest common portable subset" of SQL; you can obviously only
use SQL code that all the vendors' products interpret/implement the same
way.  Some products like Oracle have very powerful capabilities, but you
can't use them in a generic-driver context.  MySQL, for example, strikes
me as being the product that will shrink the size of that subset.

So I guess I just wondered if you've seen any discussion of that issue on
the PHP lists; if anyone has said what a recommended standard would be,
which products they're targeting, etc. where I could read more.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>