[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: chora diff.php chora/config ...

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:22:36 +0000

Quoting chuck@horde.org:

> Okay... any progress on this? Any ideas on a sane way to do a browser detect
> in css.php and modify font sizes accordingly?

I've been too busy to look into this in any depth, but I did run across:
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/css/fonts/sizes/

which is a bit depressing, when you read the table :-)

This still seems to be the definitive guide:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/index.html

And its pretty clear about using 'px' over 'pt'.  I'm wondering about the
wisdom of trying to get NS4/X11 to actually work correctly.  Right now, trying
out Galeon and Konqueror, the current html.php.dist looks pretty good.  On my
Windows laptop, it's perfect.  It struck me as small when I looked at it on a
1600x1200 display (that was using large fonts) - that's the price we pay for
absolute font sizes though, I guess.

So I think leave it at px for now, and perhaps tweak the sizes slightly to be
acceptable at high-res, and not too large at small res.  I can't test this till
I get back to London (week and a half), since I'm stuck with my laptop right
now.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>