[dev] chmod support in gollem

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar@developer.ch
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 18:05:37 +0100

Max Kalika wrote:
> > Anyone adding action: Change permission on Gollem?
> > If, not, I can.
>
> I was going to do this with ftp_site() if the server supports it.  Still
> working out UI kinks.

Hi Mike.
What kind of UI are you working on?

A cheesy one with a lot of checkboxes or a simple one where the user can
type the mode?

I have just implemented the simple one , cause I needed it now. :). It
wasnt a lot of work.
Just copied RENAME_ITEMS to CHMOD_ITEMS in PHP
and renameItems to chmodItems in js.

I was about to start working on a cheesy version and then stopped a
while thinking.

There are couple of quirks.
1) some users dont know what a file mode is. So expecting them to enter
mode in a text box is difficult.
2) some users are even more dummier and dont know what to do with the
GUI owner,group,user X read, write, execute matrix.
   They just wanted to change the mode to 755 of some cgi script as they
read in the REAME file without knowing what kind of
   permissions are they setting.

So which UI? text only or fancy matrix?
Or a text+fancyMatrix where the matrix changes if you change the text or
the text changes if you change the matrix :)

Welcome to the Matrix.

--
Atif Ghaffar
Internet Development Manager