Hotline.com

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:18:13 -0500

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this, so to some extent I'm passing the
buck back to you and onto the developers list. Horde isn't a commercial
organization; all of us have full time jobs, and only a few have doing any work
on Horde/IMP as part of that job description...

Quoting mk <MK@techton.com>:

> Hi. I read the white papers section "Scalable Webmail HOWTO" by Jason
> Belich at
> http://www.horde.org/papers/Scalable_webmail_HOWTO.php
>
> I need an email cluster able to grow between 10k to 15k accounts per
> month.

> Long story, but I have Hotline.com.
> Commtouch (.com) was our email provider two years ago, that's why I know
> for a fact the account sign-up ratio.
> Then on Dic '99 a Company that wanted the domain sued us claiming
> trademark infringement. A bogus claim, but
> It takes a lot of resources to go to federal court, even if you did
> nothing wrong.
> They lost, but we lost all our user base, and Commtouch is almost out of
> business.
>
> We realized that we could not depend on any company, to provide email
> services, as either way, (because of the law suit or Commtouch)
> we could be out of business . No hosting company, that I know of,  is
> willing to support such a solution. They will implement it with Emu Mail
> , Server Farming on NFS or even more absurd solutions.
>
> So, here I am. with 7,000 direct requests a day from people looking to
> setup an email account and no solution in sight.
>
> Are you available to configure such a system, with two or three boxes to
> start?
> Or
> Do you know of anybody willing and able to do it and available to
> continue through the process of adding boxes?
>
> Is your organization available:
> -to implement the solution I currently need.
> -to set up a new service under Hotline.com to offer email services to
> people that need a web mail solution ( Like everyone.net, or
> bigmailbox.com do)
>
> Obviously something that we will all profit from.

> Thank you
> MK

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"Live, from Washington, where the doctors were telling us what they did, and