[dev] Filters vs. filtering

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:38:19 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@horde.org>:
>
> > The word "filter" is used in two different contexts in HEAD:  filtering
> > for profanity, and filtering for organizing into folders/deleting spam
> > etc.  I wonder if that dual-meaning isn't going to be confusing.
>
> Yes, it's confused me already. Suggestions on clearing it up?

My preference would be to have the term "filter" refer to sorting and
selection of email messages, dropping into folders, etc.  So we'd need a
term for the profanity blocking kind.

I would have said "censor" except that's a pretty emotionally charged
word.  :-)  The best I've been able to come up with (pre-caffeine) is
"word block" or "redaction".

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>