[dev] I/O hammering (was: imp folder prefix)

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Tue, 29 May 2001 20:25:24 +0100

Egan wrote:

> Are you saying that IMP is getting message bodies
> just to display the screen which shows a list of 20
> messages?

No, but it needs to retrieve more information than Outlook, which has a
lot of information cached on the local disk.

The exact differences will be revealed in the IMAP trace.  I'm not sure
how you can get this easily (Courier-IMAP has a debug mode which writes
every IMAP command received to stderr - UW might have something
similar).  Or just tcpdump and parse the output through a script.

Anil