[dev] I/O hammering

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 09:59:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Egan <egan@sevenkings.net> wrote:

> I worked up some c-client patches and submitted them to the c-client
> list.  Mark Crispin wrote to tell me he integrated them with imap-2001
> development, which should be final RSN.

Wow.  :-)  Congratulations.  I don't know a ton about IMAP, but I'm
assuming that these new capabilities will be detectable as part of the
protocol negotiation, so that IMP can use them if present, and fall back
if not?  I'm sure it will take some time for the other IMAP servers to
support these, and of course old server versions have to be accounted for.

> But the greatest gain is NEEDBODY.  It will fetch the body structure
> along with the envelopes in the initial request, eliminating the need
> for individual fetches to get body structure for the icons.  Yay!

By "body structure" you mean just the layout (number of MIME parts, MIME
type of each,e tc.) but not the content of each part?  That is really
slick.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN