[dev] Horde Installer

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 18:19:41 -0400

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 12:29:35PM -0400, Jon Parise (jon@horde.org) wrote:

> The obvious downside is the need for the administrator to install
> the PHP-GTK (and GTK) stuff, but I don't know how harsh of a
> requirement that really is.

I think it's an unreasonably harsh one; requiring X11 to install what is
essentially server software seems to be mixing domains to me. While
it's true that users who install Linux with the defaults will have X11
on their servers, I think we'd find that X11 is rare on the medium-scale
installations that IMP tends to crop up on. And Bob only knows we've
got a lot of prerequisites already -- it's one thing to explain why we
require a database and c-client and so on, but another entirely to
explain why we require X. :-)

> Of course, this doesn't necessarily have to be _the_ Horde
> installer, but it would definitely be neat to have _a_ GUI Horde
> installer.

Readline is more ubiquitous than GTK. :-) And if it has to be done in
PHP, then we /know/ there's a php-enabled webserver there already.

What scope do you picture an "installer" covering?

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  "Do not dangle the mouse by the cord or