Imp-2.2.6/php-4.0.6 memory problems ?

Jarno Huuskonen Jarno.Huuskonen@uku.fi
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:41:24 +0300

Hi,

I have (had) 50M memory limit on php.ini and after < 12hours (with about
400-500 users) imp-2.2.6 started to fail because of failed memory
allocation. And after one apache (1.3.20) process (with php-4.0.6
compiled in) failed to allocate memory it would go into an endless loop
consuming all cpu ... I attached to one of these runaway process with
gdb and the process was stuck in libc_free (called from
Zend_hash_destroy (or something like that)). (The machine is a SMP Linux
box (2.2.19 kernel) glibc-2.1.3).

Has anybody else experienced memory/cpu problems with php-4.0.6 / imp ?
My temporary solution is to put the memory limit to 512M and restart
apache during the night. Any suggestions are welcome !!  One idea I have
is to use php as cgi instead of compiled module in apache ... How
serious is the performance penalty ?

-Jarno

--
Jarno Huuskonen <Jarno.Huuskonen@uku.fi>