[dev] server pref (also related to user management)

Atif aghaffar@developer.ch
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:57:30 +0200

Max Kalika wrote:

> Is there any reason why we are tracking the server as a preference?  I =
think a
> lot of our problems would go away if we drop this pref, but I am probab=
ly
> missing something important.  Thoughts?

Thoughts:
  I havent hacked on it yet, but I would like to see IMP manage mails
from more than one account at a time.

I dont like the feature of certain webmails where they give you the
possibility to download mails from another POP3 server to one of your
mail boxes.

Instead I would like to see all different accounts and to choose which
account I want to read mails from. (This feature is normal in desktop
clients such as kmail, netscape messenger, mozilla mail etc.

To achieve this, server should hang around (with prefs or somewhere else).

This also would need a Horde user management system.
A user's primary account may exists on horde level where different
identities can be defined.
Identities can contain information such as Name, From address,
Signature, Mail server name, Mail server Type (POP/IMAP), Mailserver
username, Mailserver password (optionally saved), and some preferences
related to kronolith, Turba etc.

This way user can set different identities (accounts) that point to
different servers.

I hope I can see this feature in 2.5.
Ofcoarse I'll help where/when I can.

best regards.