[dev] Question marks and problems with gettext reencoding...

Rudi Benkovič rudib@email.si
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:37:31 +0100

> > I, on the other would like real charset conversion, needed for WAP/XML
> > export and other stuff...
>
> Meaning?

Have you tried localizing WAP pages so that it actually displays the characters
that you want on your phone? Also, WAP gateways are so picky about incorrect
characters, that they refuse to render the whole document if only one character
is weird. Which is of course the only correct way - XML is strict.

Anyways, before I used utf8_encode() on localized strings, so that at least the
documents were valid. And then I finally got a new phone with WAP... it of
course didn't render 'our' (Slovenian) characters.
So, I have messed around a bit with gettext's source, found this lil'
function... Hopefully it will work sometime :)
Of course, the ultimate solution would be builtin into PHP.. I'll still need to
evaluate the mbstring module - but IIRC it is designed primarily for Japanese
codesets.

Damn, couldn't they invent Unicode a bit sooner? ;)

--

Rudi