Smarty

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:50:55 -0500

I just started looking at Smarty in detail.  I was hoping to
evaluate it for use throughout the Horde code.  However, I found
a bunch of reasons why it's not really for us.  If any of you
have actually used Smarty in a project and have alternate
opinions, please voice them.

First, Smarty works by generating PHP files from templates.  This
is wonderful when you consider a large dynamic content site (i.e.
a news site), but really lousy if you consider a web-based
application.

Second, Smarty writes these files on the fly, so they end up
being owned by the web server.  There are workarounds for
this[1], but I don't think we want to assume the responsibility
of shipping an application that works like that.

Lastly, I don't think we'll see a trememdous speed improvement
from this kind of pre-compiled template system.  I don't have
numbers ot back that up, though.

[1] http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/docs/x78.htm

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)