[dev] improving POP3 protocol utilization...

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:11:26 +0100

Zitat von Romans Malinovskis <romans@void.lv>:

> I'm  sorry  to  interrupt your busy conversations, but i think that POP3
> exchange protocol should be
> improved a little for IMP..
>
> Shortly about me:
>  i  am  PHP programmer since early PHP3 versions, when horde & imp was
> born. Long time ago i thought
> it was very ugly code, but now it surely a best sample of PHP
> programming.:) I made one imap webmail
> myself  in half a year, latter i made standalone webmail interface for
> pop3. now i mostly working on
> multiuser portal, but that's a long storry.
>
> I  have  a  very  nice POP3 protocol class which implements base
> conectivity with POP3 server. It is
> much  faster and more effective than IMAP's, it uses caching for both
> headers and messages and it is
> strictly RFC complaint.
>
> I wonder if IMP support for POP3 mailboxes could be imroved with this
> class..
>

>  - class have it's own error reporting stack, but it should be rewriten
> to work with horde..
>  - class  stores  messages  in a temporary directory using MimeRipe
> utility to extract attachments,
>     maybe IMP's mime functions should handle that
>  - class have frontend functions to get message status, which must be
> rewriten..
>

> if you think this could be fun, we can try that out.:)

No one answered you until now and I have too less knowledge about the pop3
limitations of the c-client libraries and what could be possible with a
native pop3 driver. But I think it could be interesting improving the pop3
support in IMP. Perhaps you can share your code with us and we'll see if
and how we could integrate it in a future version of IMP.

Jan.

AMMMa AG - discover your knowledge
Detmolder Str. 25-33 :: D-33604 Bielefeld
fon +49.521.96878-0 :: fax  +49.521.96878-20
http://www.ammma.de