[dev] [cvs|of topic] How to prevent white spaces conflict on CVS update

Mathieu CLABAUT mathieu.clabaut@free.fr
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:40:09 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Jan Schneider wrote:

> >   It's a bit out of topic, but in my attempts to use CVS, I'd like
> >   to know if it is possible to prevent CVS from generating conflicts
> >   on white spaces  when merging two revisions (I do know that white
> >   spaces are not significant in this case, no strings or things like
> >   that...).
> The only thing that comes to my mind is to generate a patch file by
> redirecting the output of a cvs diff command ignoring whitespaces. You can
> then use patch to apply this file against the files that need merging.

 Ok, I was thinking about a mean to do this within cvs scope, But it is
 nevertheless a very good idea (and it certainly why I didn't thought
 about it ;-) )...

 Thanks a lot for advice !

 (If somebody else as a mean to do it within CVS, I'm still interested
 ;-) )

-mat

PS. Just think that this solution doesn't take into account the diff3
algorithm used by cvs to take simultaneous parallell changes into
account when merging.... sob !
Mathieu CLABAUT                            mailto:mathieu.clabaut@free.fr
DIGINEXT                                     http://mathieu.clabaut.free.fr
45, impasse de la draille, P.A. La Duranne,   tel: 04 42 90 82 91
13857 Aix En Provence - cedex 3               fax: 04 42 90 82 80