[dev] MIME_Magic::

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:30:13 +0000

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:05:57PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:
>
> > Incidentally, this isn't used in IMP since I didn't want to start
> > overriding MIME types based on file extensions without careful
> > thought as to the security implications of this (think Outlook).
>
> Yeah, I can see that. I was wondering why it wasn't built into the framework,
> but that makes sense now.
>
> Maybe giving people a "view this as xxxx", with a "make sure it doesn't contain
> a virus" popup warning?

That should be fine, but before we do that ... do we actually need this?

Looking through my own mailbox, Courier-IMAP seems pretty smart about
putting the right MIME type to the right attachment.

Until MIME_Magic does something more interesting (use Rasmus' Apache
subrequest stuff to ask mod_mime_magic for help?), then it could be
better to leave as-is.

I'm just setting up all the stable and current trees on my laptop atm,
so I'll work through my backlog soon.  Aren't holidays great :)

Anil