[dev] MIME_Magic::

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:31:49 -0500

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> It's actually the IMAP server that determines the MIME type of a particular
> sub-part of a message, from the point of view of IMP.

No, actually it's the content of the message. The IMAP server just passes along
whatever is in the Content-Type field of the part.

> Hmm, it just occurred to me ... if we _dont_ have a MIME_Viewer configured
> for that MIME type, we would pass it straight through to the end browser,
> which could then have all kinds of nastiness done to it by the usual
> windows means.

Yeah. Well, we could default to just download, and have a default-inline driver
for things like images and text.

However, I'm not sure the security issues aren't just moot: if you claim to be
a certain kind of part, you can masquerade just as easily as doing it through a
different file extension.

Anil, one other request in here: What about having image/* be recognized in the
handles and the icons settings? So we don't have to list every type of image
under the sun...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in the