[dev] HTML Mail composing

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:00:33 +0100

Zitat von Julian Jares <julian@jares.com.ar>:

> Ok,
>
> I have an image of what I'm expecting this to look when it's ready (sort
> off, I
> can't quite like the colors) at
> http://www.julianjares.com.ar/hordedev/messages/message.jpg.
> Also, I have the code for the html editor at
> http://www.julianjares.com.ar/hordedev/messages/html.htm.
> Steps to make it work:
> Figure out how to merge the html editor inside message.php
> Once that's done, make a few templates (one for the format toolbar, one
> for the
> font, one for the link, one for the html/wysiwyg button, one for the
> cut/copy/paste), so you can add the toolbars you want
> Make a few imp preferences so users can select which toolbars appear if
> html
> editor should appear at all
> Also, I don't know if this works on netscape/mozilla/any non-ie
> browser... I
> have to find out how to make it work.

It's based on the IE specific designMode behaviour, that means it is only
supported by IE5+. It's possible to simulate a similar editor with IE4+ but
all other browsers are kept out because it relies on a win32 .dll.

I'm very familiar to this feature because we use it in two of our products.
The good side is it is very easy to use (for users and developers) and
needs very few programming. We didn't find any crossbrowser solution that
powerful.

The bad is the type of code that's generated. Think of Word's HTML output a
little bit stripped down. The HTML code actually works, even crossbrowser,
but if you want to use it for sending mails, where we of course try to
generate as small messages as possible you have to clean up all the code
after saving.

I can imagine using this as a sort of plugin for imp if for example you
only use imp in an intranet environment, but using this for sending HTML to
the internet is no good idea in my eyes. Sending HTML mail is no good idea
at all btw.

Jan.

AMMMa AG - discover your knowledge
Detmolder Str. 25-33 :: D-33604 Bielefeld
fon +49.521.96878-0 :: fax  +49.521.96878-20
http://www.ammma.de