imp "purge deleted" link ?

Matthew Dunham dunham@ic.ucsb.edu
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:27:40 -0800

folks -

i've had a fair amount of confusion on my site (~20k accounts) with the
"hide deleted/purge deleted" functionality. to make things more
yahoo/hotmail-esque, our default pref for deletes is to move mesages to
the trash folder. old messsages in the trash are then zapped via
maintenance.

so the confusion arises because my customers assume that clicking the
"purge deleted" will purge all the old messages from the trash. but in
fact it does nothing because they have no messages marked as deleted in
any of their folders.

so the question is, should the "Hide Deleted | Purge Deleted" links be
displayed if the "move messages to the trash folder upon delete" pref is
selected? this seems to make sense to me, but figured i oughta run it by
you guys before writing/submitting a patch. whatcha think?