An Idea I have been toying with...

Scott Carr scarr@progbits.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:02:09 -0600

I have been dealing with CSS for a little bit now and in my playing around have
found a really cool way of displaying menus.  The following shows what I am
talking about.  (You have to use something other than IE, the versions I have
tested with do not work properly.  I used Mozilla.)

http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/menus.html

In IMP, there is currently a setting for the Main Menu to use DHTML to display
in a little screen to itself.  Using the CSS, you could create a translucent
menu that would "Hover" over the screen for selection purposes, but would not
"Take up" the screen as far as displaying the underlying page.

I was thinking of setting this up as a preference for the users, as it does
depend on the browser you are using.

There are a couple of things that I would have to change for this to work.
Mainly the Menu.php would have to be modified to change the Menu class name from
Menu to MainMenu so it didn't get confused with any other menu class tags.  I
would have to add the CSS tags in html.conf.

One question I have is:

In the current setup, frames are being used to display the main menu.  If I
wanted the menu to display at the bottom of each of the different apps I would
have to modify each of the pages in each of the applications?  Or, is there a
hook that I could modify to include the horde/menu.php file at the botton of
each of these pages?
--
Scott Carr
OpenOffice.org